'Voice Skills Course' with Christina Shewell - 3 Days, starting 18th February, 2020
The first 2 days of this course will focus on Voice Skills, with the third practical day exploring practical pedagogy to enable you to work more effectively with both spoken and sung voice. Please wear loose comfortable clothing and bring a book to put under your head, during the short period when you will lie on the floor. All exercises can be adapted if anyone has any physical limitations.
- Introduction and opening voice work: Energy
- Presentation1: Introduction to the Voice Skills approach
- The ‘free’ voice
- Body, breath, channel, phonation, resonance, pitch, loudness and articulation
- Perceptual identification and physical underpinnings
- Analysis of spoken voice for speakers and singers: why and how?
- Voice Skills Analysis practical 1 – observing, listening, describing, planning – in filmed example and in partners
- Experiential work 1: exercises in the Voice Skills
- Student/client story 1: What exercises might be useful?
- Opening voice work: Movement
- Voice Skills Analysis practical 2
- Experiential work 2 – Action from Analysis
- Presentation 2: Mindfulness and imagery in voice work: the neuroscience of brain and body
- Experiential work 3: Mindfulness, imagery and voice work: practical exploration
- Student/client story 2: What exercises might be useful?
- Voice work: Release
- Voice warm-up
- Practical voice care for speakers and performers
- Presentation 3: Voice and Emotions – excess tension and well-being
- Experiential work 4: practical ‘care of feeling’ – mind and body skills
- Voice games and improvisation
- It will include 5 areas of voice work:
Christina Shewell is as a qualified theatre voice teacher and a registered speech and language therapist specialising in the voice problems of professional voice users, with a particular focus on singers and actors. She was formerly a senior lecturer in voice and counselling skills at University College London.
Course Venue - The Gattinetts
East Bergholt is a picturesque village in the heart of Constable Country. Complete with several village pubs, a shop, tea room and bakery, East Bergholt is an ideal retreat for teacher training events. The Gattinetts was the first disused farm sheds to be converted into a thriving business centre with a quaint, artistic feel. It is accessible by car with free onsite parking, the nearest station is Manningtree Station with Colchester North Station just a 20 minute taxi journey away.
4CD – The Training Suite – Office 2
Dates, Fees & Accommodation
18th, 19th and 20th
£290 (VAT inclusive)
Refreshment for breaks and lunch is provided.
Accommodation is not included in the price. Voice Workshop Ltd is not responsible for these recommendations.
Local Taxi’s are Riverside Taxi’s, 01206 397 563 and Topmarx Taxi’s, 01206 395 449.